About Guthrie Castle, Scotland

Castle History

Guthrie Castle, is located in Angus between Dundee and Aberdeen. The name was attributed to Guthrum, a Scandinavian prince who settled here early in the history of Scotland. Other legends claim the lands were named by an early Scots king […]

Origins of Guthrie Castle

GuthrieCastle_Postcard_Cover.3

Guthrie Castle, is located in Angus between Dundee and Aberdeen.

The name was attributed to Guthrum, a Scandinavian prince who settled here early in the history of Scotland. Other legends claim the lands were named by an early Scots king when he was served by a fisherman, who ‘gut three’ fish for him. It may also be from the Gaelic ‘gaothairach’, or windy place.

In the year 1299, the Northern Lords of Scotland sent Squire Guthrie to France to effect the return of Sir William Wallace to Scotland and resume the fight against the English. Guthrie embarked at Arbroath, landed at Calais, and returned to Montrose with his charge.

Old-Castle-Living-Room

James II originally granted the barony to Sir David Guthrie, the King’s Treasurer, who subsequently obtained a warrant from James II of Scotland under the great seal to build a castle and a “yett” (entrance gate) at Guthrie in 1468. It is an historic site and well known in Scotland. The Castle and additions continued as the Guthrie family residence until the early 80’s. The Guthrie’s have been prominent in the ecclesiastical, military and literary fields of Scotland since the early 1500’s.

Old-Guthrie-Castle-Tower-Forfar

The Castle, was built originally by Sir David in 1468, consisted only of the square tower, the current site of the library, Guthrie suite, ancient bedroom, and snooker room. It is believed that the family gave up living in the tower and built a house close by around 1760. In 1848, John Guthrie, with the help of architect David Bryce, connected the tower and the house, resulting in the finely panelled hall with the oak staircase leading to bedrooms above the well-proportioned west bedroom (Guthrie Suite). The Castle has a reputation of being haunted. The ghost was last seen by one of the present members of the Guthrie family when she was a little girl. There have been other experiences since the Peña’s first inhabited the Castle in September 1984.

The yett, which was the original entrance to the Castle, now hangs at the entry to the wild flower garden. There are two gardens adjacent to each other – the walled garden and the wild garden. No one knows the exact date of the construction of the horseshow-shaped historic walled garden. It was built either at the time of the construction of the original tower or by monks in the 16th Century. The garden contains many species of flowers and floribunda, the most notable are the 160-year yew hedges shaped in the sign of the Celtic Cross.